You're invited for the trip of a lifetime
What's an Unbound Awareness Trip like?
March 9-15, 2024: $1,250
Waiting List Only
November 9-15, 2024: $1,250
On this trip, sponsors will have the opportunity to visit with their sponsored friends in the Unbound Costa Rica program, located in San Jose, Costa Rica. Costa Rica enjoys a tropical climate, and the temperatures are relatively constant year round. The average highs are typically in the low 80s and the average lows in the mid-60s. Costa Rica does get a lot of rain, so a raincoat is recommended. While in Costa Rica, you’ll stay in simple accommodations, in a dormitory.
- • Enjoy time with your sponsored friends, visiting, connecting and getting to know each other in person.
- • Travel by bus through beautiful landscapes to visit sponsored members who will share their lives, challenges, goals and culture with you.
- • Experience Costa Rica’s biodiversity and geography through a visit to a coffee or pineapple farm, volcano or an animal sanctuary.
November 16-22, 2024: $1,200
This trip includes strenuous, hands-on activities, and offers sponsors the opportunity to visit with their sponsored friends in the Unbound Santa Ana program. You’ll learn from Unbound families and staff as they share their skills, talents and traditions.
Please note that during this unique trip, you may be walking a mile or more on steep, uneven terrain and joining families in agricultural work in the sun at elevations over 4,000 feet above sea level. Excellent balance and mobility is a must. El Salvador has a hot and humid climate, with high temperatures in the 90s and lows in the mid-60s. While in El Salvador, you’ll stay in simple accommodations, at our facility in Santa Ana, with the last night spent at a hotel near the airport.
- • Spend time with your sponsored friends visiting a local water park and playing games.
- • Visit other sponsored friends in their communities and enjoy hands-on activities such as harvesting coffee and vegetables on local farms, spending a day alongside a family, or learning about the work of local artisans.
- • Learn about El Salvador’s history when you visit the chapel where Saint Óscar Romero was martyred.
Download El Salvador trip info >
February 10-16, 2024: $1,300
April 20-26, 2024: $1,300
August 3-9, 2024: $1,300
Waiting List Only
*November 16-22, 2024: $1,300
Waiting List Only
You’ll visit the homes and communities of sponsored friends and learn about their joys and challenges while experiencing the beauty of the people. Sponsors will have the opportunity to meet with their sponsored friends in our Guatemala program. You’ll stay in simple accommodations at our facility in San Lucas Tolimán, with the first and last nights spent in a hotel in Guatemala City. San Lucas Tolimán sees average highs in the upper 70s and lows in the mid-50s. The rainy season runs through the end of November. During this time, it typically rains for a couple of hours in the afternoon and overnight. The weather in Guatemala varies dramatically based on elevation. Though you will sleep at 5,064 feet above sea level, you may visit areas at elevations between 1,000 and 9,800 feet above sea level. Travel within the country is typically by bus for two to four hours on winding and scenic mountain roads.
*On the November trips, expect a more strenuous itinerary during which Unbound families and staff will teach you about their work, culture and lives through hands-on activities. You may be harvesting coffee and vegetables on local farms, planting trees or grinding corn to make tortillas, walking a mile or more up and down steep, narrow dirt paths in the sun at elevations over 9,800 feet above sea level. Excellent balance and mobility is a must.
- • Gather with your sponsored friends at the Unbound Regional Center for a day of fun and games.
- • Be welcomed into the homes of other sponsored members to understand their daily challenges and their goals, and to see the impact of the Unbound program.
- • Travel by boat across stunning Lake Atitlán and witness the traditional cultures of Guatemala in the colonial capital of Antigua.
Download Guatemala Trip Info >
August 8-14, 2024: $1,550
Sponsors will have the opportunity to visit their sponsored friends in Honduras on this trip. You will be hosted by Unbound’s local teams in lush, mountainous Honduras. You’ll stay in modest hotels. Honduras enjoys tropical weather throughout the year. Rain showers can be frequent. We recommend packing a light raincoat and preparing for mid- to high levels of humidity. In August, average temperatures throughout Honduras range from the mid-70s and the mid-90s.
- • Spend a day of fun in the sun at a water park with your sponsored friends.
- • Visit the homes and rural communities where Unbound works and where sponsored members will share their lives, challenges, goals and culture with you.
- • Ride past banana, sugarcane and palm plantations, and visit a local market to purchase traditional handicrafts or delicious Honduran coffee.
Download Honduras trip info >
January 29-February 7, 2024: $2,000
On this trip, sponsors will have the opportunity to visit with their sponsored friends in the Philippines. Be prepared for travel by bus, boat or jeepney between urban and rural communities. The Philippines is an island nation and enjoys warm weather and high humidity year-round. In February, you can expect highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid-70s. While in the Philippines, you’ll stay in simple accommodations, typically in a hotel.
- • Spend time with your sponsored friends.
- • Visit urban and rural communities where Unbound works and where sponsored members will share their lives, challenges, goals and culture with you.
- • Enjoy the natural beauty of the Philippines while exploring the Filipino culture around metro-Manila.
Download Philippines trip info >
Hear from our travelers
Apply for awareness trips
Email [email protected] >